1893 - 1966
Grand-Bassam was Côte d’Ivoire’s original colonial capital under French rule, from 1893 to 1966. As Abidjan grew and commercial shipping was diverted, it was gradually abandoned.
What remains of the old colonial town now is the original layout, based on specialised and segregated planning, and its rotting colonial era buildings - an evocative symbol of the end of French rule.
The town was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2012.